Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Neil's suicide letter

Poor Neil Entwistle has expressed suicidal thoughts in a letter to his parents. In a letter discovered in his cell on Dec. 20th, two days after he learned that he would not be allowed to await his trial in England, Entwistle wrote:

"This may be my last letter. I have nothing to look forward to.''

He also wrote that he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread over the graves of his wife and baby. Neil is now at Bridgewater State Hospital, where psychiatrists are evaluating him. Middlesex Sheriff James DiPaola described Neil's letter this way:

"There were some key words that caught the attention of the officers. It included burial instructions. It wasn't, per se, 'I'm going to hang myself, I'm going to harm myself.' It was more of a conversation about he being depressed.''

It was also learned that an inmate named Eben Howard tried to attack Neil shortly before guards discovered the letter. He's certainly had a rough holiday season. Although Mr. Entwistle may be a murderer, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. Neil has two more hearings scheduled: one for January 21 and one for April 23. I'm not sure if he will appear at either of them, but I will post again as soon as I know.

No comments: