Friday, December 09, 2005

Red Sox and other news

The Red Sox have traded catcher Doug Mirabelli for second baseman Mark Loretta from the Padres and acquired third baseman Andy Marte from the Braves for shortstop Edgar Renteria. Considering that the Sox have already gotten rid of Hanley Ramirez and will probably trade Manny Ramirez, Kevin Millar, Bill Mueller, or one of many other veteran players, it seems that the team is going to be completely different next season. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since I thought that last season, the team was just missing something - they were simply not as good as they used to be.

In other news, "The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is being released today. I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time, and I hope it will be good. When I see it, I will post my review. I have a feeling it'll beat the new Harry Potter, but I'll pass my final judgement once I've seen it.

Also, yesterday Congress decided to renew most of the Patriot Act. They still must decide on a few portions, including the part that gives the government easier access to bookstore and library records.

And finally, California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger held a hearing yesterday to determine whether or not to pardon convicted murderer Stanley "Tookie" Williams. Williams killed four people and founded a notorious gang called the Crips, but in jail he chagned his views and wrote children's books about the dangers of gangs. He was even nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize four times! I predict that Arnold will decide not to pardon Williams, but we'll have to wait and see. Just for some useless information, did you know that San Quentin prison, where Williams lives, is home to a bunch of other infamous murderers, such as Scott Peterson, Richard Allen Davis, David Westerfield, Charles Ng, Marcus Wesson, and Richard Ramirez? Well, now you know!

No comments: